Friday, May 4, 2012

REVIEW- The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland



Elizabeth Margaret—better known as Em—has always known what life would contain: an internship at her father’s firm, a degree from Harvard and a career as a lawyer. The only problem is that it’s not what she wants. When she gets the opportunity to get away from it all and spend a month with the aunt she never knew, she jumps at the chance. While there, Em pursues her secret dream of being a chef, and she also learns that her family has kept some significant secrets from her, too. And then there’s Cade, the laid-back local surfer boy who seems to be everything Em isn't. Naturally, she can’t resist him, and as their romance blossoms, Em feels she is living on her own terms for the first time

Title: The summer My Life Began
Publisher: Penguin Pumblishing
Pum Date: May 10, 2012
Source: NetGalley


My Review;

The Summer My Life Began was a pretty quick read for me. Lately I've been devouring every contemporary I pick up. I saw this one on netgalley, being new to netgalley and this being an auto-approved title, I jumped on it. I'm really glad that I did.

I'll be up front though, if your looking for a blow your mind, deep emotional contemporary, this is probably not it. There is some drama, and some coming of age issues that are dealt with, but for the most part, it's a light read. It kept my interest, but I didn't have to think too hard. That's why I couldn’t put it down, thinking is so overrated sometimes. I have to think all day long, so this was a great book to escape in to.

I loved Em's character. At first I thought she was a little bratty and judgmental, especially when she first arrives on the island, but it was a pleasure to watch her come into her own, the further she got from her parents.

The secrets of the family, I guessed it pretty early on. Not sure if it was supposed to be that obvious, I'm assuming it was. I did enjoy watching Em, and waiting for her to figure it out.

Over all, I don’t have too much to write about this one. I really liked it. I loved the beachy feel. I has me super excited for my June beach get away coming up. The romance between Em and Cade was so sweet. The kind of sweetness that had me thinking back to my puppy love days. To bad there weren't boys like Cade around here when I was growing up. OH, and all the cooking, cause Em's wants to be a chef. If your going to read this, have a snack nearby. I was hungery and all heck! :o)

I really enjoyed this one. It might not be for everyone, but if your looking for a book that will leave you smiling and wanting to dig your toes in the sand.. I highly recommend it. 

3 comments:

  1. I kind of wanted to read this one. Looks like a cute summer read. You may have just sold me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at light read. I am so w/you on contemp books. I saw this on NetGalley, didn't realize it was an auto-approve. I definitely want to read it at some point. I love the cover. Make me want to go on a bike ride!

    ReplyDelete